143 million buyers worldwide look for PayPal when shopping online, so we've made integrating with PayPal easier than ever.
PayPal vs a Payment Gateway & Merchant Facility
As a general rule of thumb, if your online store has revenue of more than $3,000 per month, it is recommended that you sign up for a Payment Gateway and Merchant Facility.
The benefits of using a Payment Gateway and Merchant Facility over PayPal are:
- Ability to accept credit card directly in Manual Sales form;
- Increased checkout conversion;
- Smoother checkout process (Customers are kept on your website, rather than being redirected to a third party);
- Same or next day settlement in your account;
- No need to transfer money out of PayPal;
- Less issues when customers attempt to process payments;
- Potentially reduced accounting reconciliation time;
- Reduced fees when turnover is significant.
The benefits of PayPal are:
- Perceived trust by the customer over security;
- Registered PayPal customers can quickly pay by entering only their username and password.
Note: You can run both PayPal and a Payment Gateway solution concurrently.
Create a PayPal Account
Navigate to the PayPal website for your country and sign up for a PayPal business account:
Synergy 8 does not charge transaction fees, however you should be aware of PayPal's transaction fees (Link applicable to Australia, make sure you check the fees associated with your country).
After creating an account, you will need to find your PayPal Business ID. If you do not have this, you can locate it by logging into your PayPal account on the PayPal website, then click "My Account" > "Profile". Your PayPal Business ID is usually your e-mail address.
Configuring the PayPal Payment Method in Synergy 8
After retrieving your Paypal Business ID, perform the following steps to start accepting PayPal:
- Login to the admin panel of your website and click the "Commerce" > "Configuration" link in the left sidebar.
- Click "Payment Methods" to view all the available and enabled payment methods on your website. Any changes made on this page will not be live on the website until the "save changes" button at the bottom of the page is clicked.
- Click the "Enable" button next to the PayPal payment method to view the options for setting up Paypal.
- Enter a payment title / label as you would like it to be displayed to the user. This label should be similar to "PayPal Secure Payment".
- If you would like this payment method to be usable for both admin manual sales and public users, tick both "enabled for" boxes.
Note: Using PayPal for manual sales is not recommended as you will not be able to process credit cards that are associated with an existing PayPal account.
Manual Sales With PayPal
In the Manual Sales screen of Synergy 8, you are given which choice of payment method to use. When selecting PayPal, you are then given the options of "Customer has already paid via PayPal" and "Attempt to charge via PayPal".
- Customer has already paid via PayPal - Useful if the customer has already paid and you're wanting to create an invoice from the transaction id.
- Attempt to charge credit card via PayPal - Can be used to redirect the administrator to the PayPal payment screen to enter and charge customer cards without creating a customer PayPal account. This will not work if the customer has a PayPal account with the card you are entering added to it.
Synergy 8 supports PayPal IPN. IPN is an acronym for "Instant Payment Notification". It is a technique which automatically verifies and records payments into the Synergy 8 database without any manual intervention.