Affiliates can be used to track referred website traffic, sales and newly signed up website contacts. You also have the ability to record affiliate commission.
Affiliates can also be used to track the performance of advertisements you have paid for on other websites (such as Gumtree.com) via tracking links.
How They're Used
A common scenario is when another business is advertising your website to their own e-mail marketing database.
You would provide a tracking link to the business advertising your website, and whenever a user visits your website via that link, they are associated with the affiliate.
This allows you to record the number of views, new contacts and sales generated by the affiliate.
Creating A New Affiliate
- Login to the admin panel of your website and click the "Affiliates" link in the left sidebar, located under the "Commerce" heading.
- Click the button labeled "New Affiliate" to create a new affiliate. Any changes made on this page will not be live on the website until the "save changes" button at the bottom of the page is clicked.
- Enter a meaningful title you want to use to identify the affiliate.
- Enter the "Business Registration Number" of the affiliate business / entity (not mandatory).
- Enter the URL of the affiliate's website (not mandatory).
- Use the "Status" heading to control weather the affiliate tracking is active or not.
- If you would like to be notified via e-mail when the affiliate makes a sale on your website, enter one or multiple e-mail address in the "Notify Emails on Sale" field.
- Click the "Save Affiliate" button.
Creating A Tracking Link
A tracking link is the website address you will provide to your affiliate for tracking purposes.
Once you have setup an affiliate, you can create a "Tracking Link" to provide to your affiliate. Affiliates can have multiple tracking links for conducting multiple campaigns.
- Login to the admin panel of your website and click the "Affiliates" link, located under the "Commerce" heading in the left sidebar.
- Click the title of the affiliate you are creating a tracking link for. A dropdown list will appear beneath the affiliate, revealing the "Tracking Links" option.
- Click "New Tracking Link" at the top left of the page. Any changes made on this page will not be live on the website until the "save changes" button at the bottom of the page is clicked.
- At this point you will be presented with a table with two fields. The "Tracking Link URI" field and "Redirect to URL" link.
- The "Tracking Link URI" field is the link that you provide the affiliate marketer with.
- The "Redirect to URL" field is the page on your website that you would like the user to be directed to.
- When you are happy with both fields Click "Save Tracking Link" to save all changes.